Conference Program, as well as the Zoom links within, have been updated; please bear in mind that links in the previous program will no longer be valid. The Updated Conference Program can be found below.
Second International Environmental Humanities Conference: Critical Animal and Plant Studies
- Organizers: The Environmental Humanities Center and the Department of English Language and Literature, Faculty of Humanities, Cappadocia University.
- Dates: May 16-18, 2022
- Format: Hybrid (Online and in-person)
- Conference Venue: Mustafapaşa (Sinasos), the winner of the "Best Tourism Village" title awarded by The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) in December 2021. For further details, please visit https://mustafapasakapadokya.org/en/
- Keynote Speakers: Paola Cavalieri (Etica & Animali; The Helsinki Group, www.cetaceanrights.org) (Online); Simon C. Estok (Sungkyunkwan University) (In-person); Douglas Vakoch (METI International) (In-person)
- Call for Papers: Please click here for the CfP for the Conference.
- Deadline for Abstract & Short Bio Submission: Tuesday, February 1, 2022, 11:59 pm (GMT +3)
- Scientific Committee: Please click here for the list of the Conference Scientific Committee.
- Organizing Committee: Please click here for the list of the Conference Organizing Committee.
- Venue: Mustafapaşa Campus, Cappadocia University (50420 Ürgüp/Nevşehir,Turkey)
- Program: Please click here for the Updated Final Conference Program (updated on May 15, 2022).
- Abstracts & Bios: Abstracts of the papers accepted for presentation, as well as short bios of conference participants can be found here (updated on July 5, 2022).
- Conference Poster: Please click here for the Conference Poster.
- Conference Sponsor: Uçhisar Kaya Hotel (The World's First Rock-Carved Cave Hotel)
- Mustafapaşa Travel Plan: Please click here for the Mustafapaşa Travel Plan.
- Recommended Accommodation Options
- Uçhisar Kaya Hotel (Conference Sponsor / Venue of Gala Cocktail / Free shuttle to-from Mustafapaşa Campus on 16-17 May): For the 15-18 May period (4 nights), Uçhisar Kaya Hotel has 13 vacant double rooms to be booked on a first-come-first-served basis. The discounted total price for 1 double room is 100 EUR/night for one guest and 105 EUR/night for two guests. All online bookings (with credit card) must be completed by April 30, 2022, 11:59 pm (GMT +3). To book your room with the 30% discounted price; 1) Go to www.uchisarkayaotel.com, 2) Click on "Reservation" in the top right corner of the page, 3) Click on "Promo/Corporate Code" to the left of the screen, type in the conference discount code: KUN22, 4) Proceed to select room. During the online booking, guest can also book for the Poolside Gala Cocktail (15 EUR per person) on May 16, 2022; the 1-day Cappadocia Excursion (40 EUR per person); and the airport shuttle to-from Uçhisar Kaya Hotel that will operate from both Kayseri Airport and Nevsehir Cappadocia Airport (10 EUR one-way).
- For more recommended accommodation options click here.
- Poolside Gala Cocktail (May 16, 2022 - Uçhisar Kaya Hotel)
- For guests who will stay at Uçhisar Kaya Hotel, reservation details regarding the cocktail are provided above. Other participants who will not stay at Uçhisar Kaya Hotel, please see the form here, to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2022, 11:59 pm (GMT +3).
- 1-Day Cappadocia Excursion (May 18, 2022)
- Excursion fee (40 EUR) includes pick-up/drop off from/to any hotels in the vicinity, lunch, and entrance fees to museums and tourist attraction sites.
- Excursion will be held on May 18, 2022, between 09:30-17:30. Tour plan: Uçhisar Castle, Göreme Open Air Museum, Love Valley, Ruins of Çavuşin Village, Lunch, Avanos Pottery Workshop, Paşabağ Fairy Chimneys, Devrent Valley (Valley of Dreams), Ürgüp Fairy Chimneys (Three Graces), Wine tasting.
- For guests who will stay at Uçhisar Kaya Hotel, reservation details regarding the excursion are provided above. Other participants who will not stay at Uçhisar Kaya Hotel, please see the form here, to be sent to email@example.com by April 30, 2022, 11:59 pm (GMT +3).
- Shuttles from Nevşehir Bus Station, Kayseri Airport, and Nevşehir Cappadocia Airport
- More information regarding online shuttle reservations, which must be completed by April 30, 2022, 11:59 pm (GMT +3), can be obtained by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
UNESCO-MOST BRIDGES Inaugural General Assembly (24-25 May 2021)
For details of the UNESCO-MOST BRIDGES Inaugural General Assembly, please visit the event page by clicking here.
UNESCO-MOST BRIDGES Global Sustainablity Coalition Establishment Workshop (6-7 July 2020)
For details of the UNESCO-MOST BRIDGES Global Sustainability Coalition Establishment Workshop, please visit the event page by clicking here.
International Conference on “Environmental Humanities in the Anthropocene Age” (7-8 March 2019)
- Organizers: The Environmental Humanities Center and the Department of English Language and Literature at Cappadocia University
- Dates: March 7-8, 2019
- Venue: Oktay Sinanoğlu Building Conference Hall, Cappadocia University (Mustafapaşa Campus, 50420 Ürgüp/Nevşehir,Turkey)
- Program: The conference program is available as a pdf file.
- Abstracts: Abstracts of the papers accepted for presentation are available as a pdf file.
- Participants: of conference participants are available as a pdf file.
The slider photos are from Gregory Colbert's “Ashes and Snow” which eliminates the boundaries between the human and the more-than-human.
“In exploring the shared language and poetic sensibilities of all animals, I am working towards rediscovering the common ground that once existed when people saw themselves as part of nature and not outside of it. The destiny of whales cannot be separated from the destiny of man, and the destiny of man cannot be separated from the destiny of all of nature. I am exploring new narratives that help build a bridge across the artificial boundaries we have established between ourselves and other species.” Gregory Colbert